About this Blog
Brony Magic: A glimpse into the new generation of My Little Pony fans.
For National Novel Writing Month 2011, I wrote a biography of the fandom of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (MLP: FIM). It’s something that needed to be written, so that others outside the fandom can understand how complex it is, and why these ‘Bronies’ exist. It will be published as an e-book.
This blog is meant to be a display of my first draft, and I ask fans to comment on what needs to be changed/added. Haters are advised to refrain from posting, because we will Love and Tolerate all angry/derogatory posts.
To summarize my efforts, please read the form letter below, that I have created to share with the Brony Community. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!
I have drafted a book about the Brony subculture(with Purple Tinker’s blessing) and am asking fellow Bronies to assist with its content. The book was written for non-viewers that are interested in learning about Bronies. It explains the basics of the show and the fan culture, as well as addressing the ‘why’ of the fandom. While this question cannot be simply answered, every single Brony has an individual answer and many of these have been highlighted through examples in this book.Because the fandom is so massive, I admit that I have likely missed some details as well as additional reasons why Bronies love MLP: FIM. To address these shortcomings, I ask my fellow Bronies to read what I have written and provide both positive and negative feedback on my writing to make it even better. I am releasing a draft of the book chapter-by-chapter for your review over this month at my blog: http://www.bronymagic.wordpress.com.I am also putting out a call for support material to be integrated into my book. These include:
- Personal stories that reflect just how strong the magic of friendship really is. For this, I request a 1-2 paragraph short story, vignette, or description of:
- how you became interested in ponies
- what MLP:FIM means to you
- what the fandom means to you
- your favorite part of the fandom
- a tale of something that you did/made for the fandom
- other stories you feel should be told
- Front and back cover art for the book. (This will be e-published so I have to research the methods of display and sizes that are acceptable for e-books. It’s my first attempt so I do not know these details yet. However if you are an artist/author and know these details let me know! )
- Artwork and/or photographs for each chapter. (It is best to read the chapters and then submit works as you see fit. One example is pictures of at least the mane 6 characters, with no background.)
- An awesome banner or theme for my blog would also be appreciated. (Because it is a temporary site for the book, this is a want and not a need.)Submitters can be attributed via your real name or your pony name. Please say which you prefer – I will not put anonymous works in my book, as they do not give as much ‘character’ for readers to bond with. If you are comfortable giving out your general location, I would also like that – even if it is just your country, and not the nearest town. Not all entries will be taken but I will let you know either way before it is published (in the early spring timeframe). This book will be published under creative commons, and will request attribution for any written segments /summaries and/or art that is taken from the book.TL:DR Please do not submit things if you don’t want them shared with the world.Comments and submissions may be left on my blog, Brony Magic, or can be e-mailed to me at Riftwing (at) gmail.com.–
All written summaries and analysis are copyright myself. Links to fan-made content are copyright the original creators. My Little Pony is owned and copyrighted by Hasbro. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is developed for television by Lauren Faust.